How to Hypnotize Yourself
Learn how to hypnotize yourself. No I am not going to get you to flap your arms and cluck like a chicken! Self-hypnosis is much more than a stage-trick!
In fact self hypnosis is an effective way to re-educate the unconscious mind - that part of the mind that is responsible for cravings and impulses - and break habits.
Whether it is quitting smoking with stop smoking hypnosis or losing weight with hypnosis weight loss - hypnosis stops the cravings and puts you on a path to more effective habits.
Hypnosis taps into a receptive unconscious. Hypnosis accesses, communicates and sends positive suggestions to the unconscious mind.
How to hypnotize is characterized by:
- a focused awareness of the mind
- a decreased awareness of the external situation (trance state)
- a greater susceptibility towards suggestions or instructions (suggestibility).
You can learn hypnosis online and relax your mind and body.
Once relaxed you are able to suggest positive suggestions of change that you want from yourself.
These positive suggestions communicate to the unconscious mind may include:
- relaxing suggestions that are used in stress management or anti anxiety hypnosis
- confident suggestions to build self-confidence and self-esteem
- suggestions to maintain motivation in breaking habits such as smoking or overeating
These suggestions can be direct suggestions, imagery suggestions, indirect suggestions, or post-hypnotic suggestions.
The important thing is that when you are in a trance state that these suggestions communicate with the unconscious mind towards some positive change.
How to hypnotize yourself for relaxation and reduced stress
- Find a quite area in which you won't be disturbed and sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes and attempt to relax your body. Take a few deep breaths.
Try to reduce your feelings of stress, fear and anxiety.
Sometimes thoughts may intrude, simply view them impartially and allow them to float away.
- You may notice tension in your body, visualize the tension seeping out of your body as you become more and more relaxed.
- Take slow calming breaths and relax your body.
Feel your body enter into a deep sense of relaxation.
If you have trouble to reach a full state of relaxation, try these breathing exercises to get you there.
- At this point, speak in future tense about the issue that you are concerned about.
Try to avoid negative statements such as "I don't want to be stressed and irritable." It is better to focus on positive statements such as "I am becoming relaxed and calm".
Try to phrase your statements in a positive way.
This is explained in more detail at self hypnosis instruction.
- Repeat your statement to yourself as many times as you like. If you have difficult writing your own hypnosis script then Hypnosis MP3s are often very useful.
Many hypnosis MP3s for quitting smoking, losing weight, reducing stress, increasing confidence and motivation are available.
Search here for a hypnosis MP3 for you.
- Now count to 10 to come out of your deep relaxation. When you reach 10 you will be in a normal state of consciousness in which you will be calm and relaxed.
- Open your eyes and take a few moments to enjoy the serene feeling before getting up.
Related hypnosis articles
Stop Smoking Hypnosis: Quit Smoking and Stop the Cravings
Hypnosis Weight Loss: Lose Weight and Keep it Off
Pain Management: Reduce Chronic and Specific Pain through Hypnosis
Click here to return from how to hypnotize to self hypnosis
Click here to return from how to hypnotize to the stress management homepage